Saturday, August 15, 2009

3 Year Celebration!

The month of August marks the 3 year anniversary of Chicken Nugget Lemon Tooty!  It's hard to believe when we started the site Isaac was 7, Grace was 6, and Lily was 3.  This post you're reading also happens to be post #250!  Over 400 pictures have been uploaded into the previous 249 entries over the last 3 years...

I thought this was cause for celebration.  Early in the month of August I had posted an open invitation here for folks to dive into the CNLT archives, pick a favorite drawing, and use it as a source of inspiration for their own image -- To create some Z-Kids "fan art," if you will.  I thought perhaps I'd get three or four takers.  We're humbled and amazed by the many wonderful responses.

So have a look below and celebrate with us!  If you want to join in the festivities, I'll keep taking submissions through the end of August and update with additional pictures as they come in.

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you to the wonderful new friends and artists who gave such a precious gift of their time and talent.  It's an inspiration to Isaac, Grace, and Lily to see folks take an interest in what they make!  And thanks also to the many people who have left such encouraging comments to them over the last three years.

It's fun imagining where another 3 years will take us!  Let the celebration begin!


9/17/06 -- by Isaac at age 7:
this was a picture that changed from sad guy with a hat to happy guy with a hat when flipped upsidedown...


by Sam Torode:



10/4/06 -- by Gracie at age 6:

by Matt Mangus:



10/15/06 -- by Gracie at age 6:

by Lori Ann Grover:



1/20/07 -- by Isaac at age 8:

#1 by Xenos Mesa:

#2 by Margaret Molinari:



3/31/07 -- by Gracie at age 6:

by Otto Chin:



4/1/07 -- by Isaac at age 8:

by Dad:



4/11/07 -- by Lily at age 4:

by Alvaro Eduardo Martinez Bueno:



4/24/07 -- by Lily at age 4:

by Julie Phillipps:



4/24/07-- by Gracie at age 6:

by Rawn Gandy:



7/9/07 -- by Lily at age 4:

#1 by Lesley Vamos:

#2 by Chris Kennett:

#3 by Teague Rook:



7/27/07 -- by Isaac at age 8:

by Michael Robertson:



8/8/07 -- by Isaac at age 8:

#1 by Matthew Laznicka:

#2 by Juan Manuel Pedraza:



8/18/07 -- by Lily at age 4

by Tera Zajack:



10/2/07 -- by Isaac at age 9

by U/P:



10/11/07 -- by Lily at age 4:

by Juan Manuel Pedraza:



12/17/07 -- by Gracie at age 7:

by Kerry:



12/31/07 -- by Lily at age 4:
Worried, Happy, Sad, Surprised, Angry, Hungry

#1 by Kerry:

#2 by Kenneth Walendzik:



2/12/08 -- by Isaac at age 9:

by Kerry:



3/9/08 -- by Gracie at age 7:

by Tera Zajack:



5/8/08 -- by Lily at age 5:

by Michael Robertson:



5/18/08 -- by Isaac at age 9:

#1 by Bob Boyle:

#2 by Tera Zajack:



5/25/08 -- collection of "Werd Hoses" by Gracie at age 7:


addition to the collection by Elizabeth Trubuhovich:



6/13/08 -- by Lily at age 5:

#1 by Pascal Campion:

#2 by Renata Liwska:

#3 by Woody Miller:



6/13/08 -- by Isaac at age 9:

by Arnaud Millot:



6/23/08 -- by Gracie at age 7:

by Michael Robertson:



6/24/08 -- by Gracie at age 7:

#1 by Dad:

#2 by Doug Jones:

#3 by Xenos Mesa:



6/24/08 -- by Gracie at age 7:

by Kyle Poling:



7/23/08 -- by Gracie at age 7:

by U/P:



9/8/08 -- by Gracie at age 8:

by Michelle Henninger:



9/28/08 -- by Lily

by Mike R. Baker:



9/28/08 -- by Isaac

by Nathan Hale:



10/18/08 -- by Gracie at age 8:
"Fuzzy pink monster,
she dances for kids at night.
I want to see her."

#1 by Tom Jones:

#2 by David Miles:

#3 by R. M. Hanson:



10/18/08 -- by Elijah at age 2:

by Dad:



10/18/08 by Gracie at age 8:

by Andres Couturier:



11/3/08 -- by Gracie at age 8:

#1 by
#2 by Juan Manuel Pedraza (yep, that's cut paper...)

#3 by Mike R. Baker:



11/30/08 -- by Gracie at age 8:

#1 by Adam Rex:

#2 by Darren Rawlings:



11/30/08 -- by Lily at age 5:

#1 by U/P:

#2 by Bethany Meier:

#3 by Rimi Rasheed:

#4: by Jordie Bellaire:

#5 by Dad:



2/6/09 -- by Isaac at age 10:

by Joost Haakman:



2/13/09 -- by Gracie at age 8:
"A Teddy Pear is a special bear
Kids sleep with when it's night.
Or you could eat it for your breakfast.
That would be alright."


#1 by Luisa Uribe:

#2 by Tina Yao:

#3 by Kim Whitfield-Holt:
#4 by Alina Chau:



5/29/09 -- by Isaac at age 10:

#1 by Kristi Valiant:

#2 by Andres Couturier:



6/12/09 -- by Lily at 6:

#1 by Cory Godbey:

#2 by Melissa Copeman:

#3 by Kacey Schwartz



6/19/09 -- by Gracie at age 8:

#1 by Callan Molinari:

#2 by Ariel Hart:



7/24/09 -- by Gracie at age 8:
"Whales have their noses on top of their heads.  That would be weird if I had a nose on my head."

by Rina Jost:



7/24/09 -- by Gracie at age 8:
"[This guy] is a dentist!  Okay, technically he is a shrimp.  But fish line up, and the shrimp cleans their teeth.  That shrimp is a human toothbrush.  Only, he's not a toothbrush and he's not a human."

#1 by Jason Duckmanton:

#2 by Dylan O'Neil:



7/24/09 -- by Gracie at age 8:
"Manatee.  No, not mayonnaise.  Manatees.  When manatees meet, they pull each other close and kiss!  Yes, you heard me.  A big smack on the lips!"

#1 by Sharon Wagner:

#2 by Denise Gallagher:




Thanks again to everyone who participated!  This was so much fun for us all.  It was great meeting so many new friends and exciting to see the art roll in.  Looking forward to 3 more years!

69 comments:

Tom Barrett said...

wonderful art kids! (and adults). Wish I'd have known about this sooner—I would have participated.

My question is: Do you offer a prompt to them each time, or set aside some time each day for them to draw. I so want to get my kids (8 and 6) drawing but finding the right inspiration and motivation is difficult.

Z-Kids said...

Thanks so much everyone for this wonderful WONDERFUL art! The kids loved it!

Hi Tom -- They all draw on their own... we never pushed them - they've seen me doing it since I'm an illustrator and have just followed suit. Our biggest role has simply been to make sure there is always plenty of paper available to them!

As far as motivation or prompts go... Illustration Friday is a wonderful resource to get creative juices flowing. I never pressure the kids to do one, but I always tell them what the word of the week is.

Check out our other blog "Bookie Woogie" to see another example of getting kids creative juices flowing. There are wonderful picture books out there (some made by the folks who contributed here!). Having the kids do some fan art after reading a favorite book is lots of fun.

Z-Kids said...

Thank-you for ALL these pictures! We all really loved them. It made me so happy and surprised when I saw them!

- Gracie

Z-Kids said...

Thank-you thank-you thank-you for all these wonderful pictures! Some of them I laughed right out loud when I saw them. Other ones were so cool.

- Isaac

Z-Kids said...

I want to say thank-you for doing this! I really really loved all these pictures!

- Lily

Anonymous said...

Your welcome :D I surely had fun!!!! And thank you for inviting me to participate in this special event.

Doug said...

Wow! You certainly have some incredible art here! I am impressed! Keep up the drawing, Z-kids!

Karen from Mentor said...

Oh my gosh I loved this so much. It's a FABULOUS collection.
(sorry to get your floor so wet from all of the gushing)

Thanks so much for sharing.
And thanks to Cory at last nights rains and Judy at zebrasounds for pointing me to your gorgeous site. I would have never known it existed otherwise and I wouldn't have had this GIANT grin on my face all day today without seeing your kids amazing artwork and the adult interpretations. Brilliant!
Karen :0)

tera said...

It looks like everyone had so much fun with these. I can't wait to see what the kids do next!

ElizT said...

On the whole, all things considered, and with all due respect,I like the children's work best.

Holly Golightly said...

I just love the drawings on this site!! The cids imagination is just mindblowing!! Just an idea: Have you ever read the book "The little prince" by Antoine de Saint- Exupéry... Its beautiful, and I think the cids would make beautiful images out of it :)

Kristi Valiant said...

This was so much fun to participate in, and you kids are super creative and talented! Happy 3 year blog anniversary!

debbie said...

Happy Bloggiversary! You all are so inspiring.

michael robertson said...

I had a blast participating. I'm happy to be a part of this celebration of such a talented and creative bunch. Keep up all the great work.

krisztina maros said...

congrats on your anniversary!! these works are absolutely wonderful! wish you have fun drawing for many many years!! i hope i'll could participate if i come back from holiday!

Tomás Serrano said...

Joining the two versions it´s a great idea. Wonderful blog. Congratulations to the young artists.

missDTM said...

i love this! so cute! my nephew is an artist and i love love love to see him with his markers...he's not even 2 yet but i am looking forward to what he will be making tomorrow, next week, next month, a year from now, etc. truly incredible.

Chris Kennett said...

Fantastic blog! Your kids have a great imagination!

Anthony VanArsdale said...

Congratulations to the kids! They are all so very talented. And what a great way to celebrate the occasion!

shannon hale said...

Wow. This is officially the coolest site on the web, hands down. Thanks for sharing your talent, Isaac, Gracie, Lily, and Dad, and all contributing artists. It's inspiring how the recent versions pay homage to the originals, shinging a light on all the wonderful composition, details, and and ideas that the kids put into theirs. I can't wait to share with my son!

shannon hale said...

Oops, and Elijah too!

Unknown said...

These arts are just too too much FUN!!

Nina Crittenden said...

Great art inspired be fantastic kids!!!

rina said...

congrats to the kids for being so creative and to their dad for blogging their wonderful stuff :) I allowed myself to paint a fanart as well. you can see it at http://rinajost.blogspot.com - you see, you are even known in Switzerland! I posted the original drawing by Gracie too, I hope that's okay. keep up drawing!

Kerry said...

Great work, kids.
You're very inspiring!

Thanks for the fun art assignment ;-)
http://snagglefrack.blogspot.com/2009/08/chicken-nugget-lemon-tooty.html

Denise Gallagher said...

Congratulations kids! And keep up the great work! You've got me inspired!

Denise

kim holt said...

This was lots of fun. Here is my fan art.
Thanks for the refreshing challenge.

http://kimscollectionofstuff.blogspot.com/2009/08/fan-art-post-for-chicken-nugget-lemon.html

Kristin Forbes-Mullane said...

wow... what a great idea! You've got some amazing stuff up here :)

Unknown said...

I can't help to join the fun and make a illo of Gracie's Teddy Pear drawing :)

Here is the link:
http://alinanimation.blogspot.com/2009/08/tasty-yummm.html

Hope you guys like it. ^_______^

bon bon said...

wow, such talent. i'm blown away by all the creativity! thanks to everyone for sharing their amazing work!

mike r. baker said...

All of the artists just blow me away! But more than that, these kids are amazing!!! Such imagination and talent. Great work, kids!

Lorie Ann Grover said...

These are so fun! Thanks for inspiring us all, you guys!

Rick Streeby said...

Slideshow, please.

Callan's Sketchblog said...

this looked like such fun I had to join in! http://callanmolinari.blogspot.com/2009/08/chicken-nugget-lemon-tooty.html
You're all so talented and clever- keep drawing!

Julie_c said...

Z-Kids - you are all so amazing! I wanted to participate and found so many wonderful pieces of art - it was hard to choose! But I'm into birds right now, so I chose Lily's drawing from April 2007, The Pigeon Finds Some Friends.

I wasn't sure how to send it in, so I posted it on my blog. http://ninjawoman.blogspot.com/2009/08/loop-e-doli.html

Thanks for the fun adventure and letting us share some art time with you.

Julie

PS - Z-Dad - good luck with your book!

Swati said...

Somehow I never visited this site although I am at bookie-woogie often enough. So today I just looked at the photos on this post, and deliberately didn't read anything except the title. Congratulations!

Margaret Molinari said...

This was great fun! Wish I had know about it sooner so I could have done more, it was so hard to chose just one.
http://margarts.blogspot.com/2009/08/shark-man-chicken-nugget-lemon-tooty.html

Michelle Henninger said...

Kids you are amazing! I love your creativity! Happy Anniversary and keep drawing!

Although it was really a hard choice, I had to go with Gracie's Flutter Clutter! I love that one!!
http://michellehenninger.blogspot.com/2009/08/chicken-nugget-lemon-tooty-3-year.html

Sharon Wagner said...

I really enjoyed seeing all the participation in this fun challenge. I illustrated, "Me kissing a Manatee" and posted it on my blog today.

Tom Jones said...

Fantastic Blog and brilliant idea. I couldn't resist having a go either!

My verson of Gracie's Fuzzy Pink Monster is here:

http://tomsdrawings.blogspot.com/2009/08/day-164-monday-24th.html

I don't think it comes close to doing her original drawing credit though!

Sam Torode said...

Absolutely awesome!!! Love you all--
--Uncle Sam

Ryan Claytor said...

Wow,

I don't often link to blogs, but I linked to this. Absolutely fantastic. Keep up the great work, everyone! :)

Touched,

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

xenos said...

Here is my contribution! Happy 3 year Anniversary CNLT!

http://graphicvectors.blogspot.com/2009/08/caution-beware-of-sharkman-blog-popular.html

Hope your kids enjoy it as much as I did making it...

Adam Rex said...

Wow, more and more art keeps coming in! You kids have made a lot of people happy.

My captcha code for this comment was "subboo." Someone should get busy drawing whatever that is.

Kyle Poling said...

What a great way of celebrating your kids talents - I wish I had this kind of outlet when I was a kid. I think its awesome that you have family sketch night and that you do trading cards, etc. So Cool! I wanted to submit my version of Grace Critters 2 - I had a blast doing this and hope that you post it here - will keep checking back to see more of great blog!
http://kylepolingillustration.blogspot.com/2009/08/chicken-nugget-lemon-tooty.html

Amy C said...

whaooo, Happy Birthday, this is such a fantastic blog, I would love to take part one day!

Cutu said...

Please!I already have my drawing, how oh how do I submit it? (It's been awfully fun, by the way).
Andres

Cutu said...

Ok here's the link to my take on Gracie's drwing.
You should do this permanent, it's loads of fun.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Mwhdej40GDE/SpVE0m0HbdI/AAAAAAAAACA/YMcyHoNyD4Y/s1600-h/MALFUNCTION+GRACIE.jpg

Tina Yao said...

This was so much fun! Thanks, Gracie (and Isaac and Lily) for the inspiration. Your artwork is wonderful.

Turretrato said...

This is awesome, thank you for being such super dads and share this amazing drawings, your kids are really gifted!

This is my humble contribution, I had lots of fun drawing it:

http://turretrato.blogspot.com/2009/08/kids.html

Greetings from Spain, and many, many thanks!

Eric Barclay said...

Dear Lily, Isaac and Grace,

Congratulations on your third anniversary of Chicken Nugget Lemon Tooty! Your artwork inspires people all over the world-- you should be proud that so many artists have honored you by recreating your drawings.

While there were many wonderful drawings submitted, I still like the versions that you did best.

Keep drawing, and thank you so much for sharing your art with the world.

Your fan,
Eric

Richard Jesse Watson said...

Brilliant! A return to the freedom that is expressed in children's art is a good idea for all artists. I have been inspired.

Cutu said...

Hey I wanted to send one more entry. Specially knowing that Dad seems to like hippos.
Let's do this next year!
Alll the best.

Adress for my take:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mwhdej40GDE/SpozmnGR0RI/AAAAAAAAACg/bPSJu_aC_RY/s1600-h/ISAAC+HIPPO.jpg

xenos said...

had so much fun with the first one that i had to do another. here you go:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3516/3876555457_8342371714_b.jpg

Happy Anniversary Chicken Nugget Lemon!

-xenos

Thomas said...

Shannon Hale had a link on her last post to your blog. I'm so glad that I stopped by. What beautiful art!

Anonymous said...

I also saw Shannon Hale's blog and came out of curiosity. What an inspiration to know that your kids are already illustrators! I was very impressed as well as inspired. Wouldn't these illustrations, along with the profesionals artists' illustrations make a lovely book? Please shop it to your agent or editor.

Z-Kids said...

Thanks again to everyone for participating! This was SO - MUCH - FUN over here! I sense folks out there enjoyed it too. It's been great getting to know so many people through their kind messages and art. And thanks again to Everyone who's ever left a comment for the kids over the last 3 years. It's very encouraging. Howsabout another round of celebrating in 2012? Sooner? All our best to you all!

Z-Dad

Tina Turbin said...

I really enjoyed visiting your website. It's always a pleasure to connect up with like-minded individuals and websites that share similar interests.

Armin said...

Hello Kids (and grown-ups)!
Very nice pictures from all of you, I bookmarked the page directly. You kids are very talented. The interpretation of the pictures is awesome, too.

Best wishes from Germany!

Armin

Florian said...

Hi there,

love all your work, fantastic idea :)

I blogged about it on my blog - http://fv-web.de/kids-art

Best wishes, a new reader ;)

elizabeth said...

Wow, I just discovered this blog and this project through the Illustration Friday blog. HOW. COOL. This is some seriously inspiring artistic partnering. The talent is just oozing out of this post, from both the originals and their re-imaginings. I'd LOVE to participate if you did this again. It looks like your whole site is full of really really good ideas that I'd be honored to re-imagine. Thanks for sharing with the world...

Allivymar said...

Neato. What fun that must have been. As the mom of a 5 yr old I'd like to check something; perchance are your kids (at least the younger ones) aren't Mo Willems/Pigeon fans? I'm quite sure I saw Pigeon a couple of times in the artwork..

SwanDiamondRose said...

this is greatness!

MetaFilter link said...

MetaFilter link

Carrie said...

THAT is so amazingly COOL! =D Thanks for sharing all of that!

Playing by the book said...

What a treasure trove! I particularly liked those illustrations where one from the kids had inspired several responses - very interesting to see the different takes from the same stimulus.

Célia Fernandes said...

I'm really happy to have found your work. and here is proof that the kids illustrations are truly inspirational!

Kayleen West - Children Author/Illustrator said...

What a joy to look through all those illustrations. Hey kids your drawings were AMAZING! Keep us the good work.

A Pen In Neverland: Angela Peña Dahle said...

Amazing!I am truly inspired now. This is an amazing project, and YES, do it EVERY year! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!